Surf and Turf for Two
Surf and Turf for Two with sea scallops and filet mignon with rosemary-wine pan sauce is an elegant, decadent dish to make with a loved one at home!
For the mashed potatoes:
1 large russet potato, peeled then chopped 2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon milk
salt, to taste
For the steak and pan sauce:
2, 8oz filet mignon steaks, cut 2″ thick 3/4 Tablespoon rock salt
1-1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion big pinch fennel seeds
small pinch red chili pepper flakes drizzle extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
1 garlic clove, crushed and peeled
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 cup red wine, like cabernet
1 cup low-sodium gluten-free beef broth
For the scallops:
6 large scallops
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 1 Tablespoon butter
- Place steak on a plate on the counter to warm up for about 20 minutes before starting to cook. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add potatoes to a large pot filled with cold water then bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain then mash potatoes with butter, milk, and salt and then set aside.
- For the steak: Add rock salt, peppercorns, dried garlic, dried onion, fennel, and red chili pepper flakes to a mortar and pestle then coarsely crush seasonings. Alternatively you could use a spice grinder or use
your favorite store-bought steak rub instead. Drizzle tops of steaks with extra virgin olive oil then
generously sprinkle on spice rub and rub into steaks. Repeat on the other side.
- Heat a large, oven-safe cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat then add 1Tablespoon butter. Once melted add steaks then sear until steaks have formed a golden brown crust on the bottom, 2 minutes. Flip steaks then place entire skillet into oven and roast for 10 minutes for medium (adjust roasting time up or down depending on how thick your steaks are – ours were 2″ thick.) Remove steaks to a plate then tent a piece of foil on top and set aside to rest.
- Place skillet back over medium-high heat then add shallots and saute for 30 seconds. Add rosemary, garlic, and wine then simmer until wine is reduced by half, and then add beef broth and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced, 7-9 minutes. Add remaining Tablespoon butter, taste and add salt and pepper if necessary, and then set sauce aside.
- For the scallops: While the pan sauce is reducing, melt butter and extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat scallops dry between layers of paper towel, season with salt and pepper, and then place seasoned side down in hot skillet and sear for 90 seconds. Season tops with salt and pepper then flip and sear for 90 more seconds.
- Scoop mashed potatoes onto plates then add steaks and scallops. Drizzle with pan sauce then serve.
Use store bought steak seasoning instead of the seasonings above if you don’t have a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
I truly appreciate this post. I?¦ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again
I really like your writing style, good information, thank you for posting :D. “God save me from my friends. I can protect myself from my enemies.” by Claude Louis Hector de Villars.
With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any ways to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d genuinely appreciate it.
It?¦s actually a great and helpful piece of information. I?¦m satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.